The Patuxent River (MD) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated is proud to serve as co-sponsor of the 30th Anniversary Gala for the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless (MCCH) on Wednesday, May 20, 2020. PRC has supported MCCH for the past 3+ years. PRC provided support to the formerly homeless residents of the Seneca Heights community. Seneca Heights is a permanent housing facility run by the MCCH located in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The apartments house 40 individual residents (20 males and 20 females) in efficiency apartments and 17 female head of household families living in 1-3 bedroom apartments. Some of our contributions to the Seneca Heights community include but not limited to:
- Provided gift cards for the Seneca Heights families for the Christmas holidays (2017-2019).
- Through a collaboration with Manna Food, a mobile Pop-up Pantry was brought to Seneca Heights in March 2018. The Pop-up Pantry provided fresh produce and non-perishable food staples free of charge to the residents.
- In honor of our Links' Founders' Day 2018, PRC assembled and donated mini-move in kits to two incoming families and provided additional school supplies to the student residents as they transitioned into the second quarter of the school year.
- PRC distributed back packs, school supplies and snacks to student residents (Kindergarten through college) in August 2018 & 2019.
- Plans are underway to provide health and/or financial wellness workshops to the residents in 2020.
In Collaboration with DMV Area Links Chapters
Women's Legislative Briefing
On Sunday, January 26, 2020, the Patuxent River (MD) Chapter participated as an Opal Sponsor at the Montgomery County Commission for Women’s 40th Women’s Legislative Briefing. Members managed an exhibit table with local resources for attendees and conducted outreach for community partnerships.
The Chapters’ mentees also known as our “GEMS”
(Global-Minded, Empowered and Motivated for Success), also participated in the Emerging Leaders programs for middle and high school students.